The SONOTOMIA Residency 1.0 welcomes creative and cultural professionals interested in building their capacities through experimentation and use of spatial sound technologies such as the 4DSOUND system for the promotion of Portuguese regional heritage of culture and biodiversity. The expected collaborative work consists of:
- Collecting the soundscapes of marine and coastal life (i.e. rivers, lakes) in Alentejo region and using these sound recordings to build sound libraries and contribute to developing of the initiatives for raising awareness about the fragility of unique places; and
- Developing cultural products and services, including works of art (i.e. landmark installations), with the captured sounds, tailored and distributed in space using ICT technologies.
All interested creative and cultural professionals will be invited to submit individual and/or group concept proposals for new innovative and feasible solutions (products, services). These solutions can be either creative and cultural and/or scientific and educational outputs that can directly contribute to raising awareness and disseminating knowledge on the richness and need for preservation of the coastal and marine life in the Alentejo region.
The results of the residency will be sustained through the SONOTOMIA Digital Hub which development will be launched during the residency implementation and further developed within the project duration. The digital hub will be a virtual collaborative space that will link the participants from different countries, their works, business models, and entrepreneurial ecosystems. With the help of the project partners, the digital hub will promote peer learning and establishment of synergies between former residents, thus, will help participants to exploit their collective knowledge, connections, and networks for each other’s benefits. It will deliver support services such as continued coaching on innovation and sustainability. Finally, it will become an external sharing space on know-how on the acoustic archiving and ecology of listening concerning the topic of heritage promotion and preservation; and knowledge about sounds through its sound library.
SONOTOMIA is looking for the creative and cultural professionals from various backgrounds residing in Portugal who have experience or wish to build experience/capacity in some of the following areas:
- Application of soundscapes and sound library for an educational and scientific purposes (e.g. environmental studies and sustainability; climate change; marine biology and preservation of heritage; health and wellbeing);
- Application of soundscapes and sound library for the art and culture purposes (e.g. installation design; community/audience development; cultural expression and creativity); and
- New music creation and sound research (e.g. music composition; music technology; performance).
The residency supports the acceptance of the professionals at any stage of their artistic or scientific career, therefore, from the established authors to those at the beginning of a deeper personal exploration of sound, as well as students. Considering the work will be organized in group activities SONOTOMIA residents will work together, exchanging expertise and experiences on the given topics, building together with the legacy of SONOTOMIA. Already considering the sustainability aspect, SONOTOMIA encourages joint proposals of a couple or few professionals that can demonstrate possible development of interdisciplinary innovative solutions.
This residency envisions three clear outputs that all residents will have a chance to contribute to:
- Sound Library (Sound Capture)
SONOTOMIA Residents will identify, capture and classify the soundscapes of previously agreed elements of marine and coastal biodiversity, such for example the water sounds of different depths and surfaces; flora and fauna; interaction of fishermen and boats with the sea; interaction of sea and coast, among others.
- Landmark Art Installation
In a collaboration with the local partners such as the University of Évora and MARÉ – Marine and Environmental Science Centre, the Fishermen Association and Vocational School of Art in Sines, residents will have an opportunity to conceptualize and prototype the first joint solution (blueprint) of a landmark installation which will be developed in the later stages of the project.
- Musical Final Presentation Piece
Some of the residents who are keener on sound engineering and music composition will be in charge of developing or experimenting sound elements for the purpose of creating a musical piece.
SONOTOMIA expects cooperation and peer-learning among all residents, regardless of their backgrounds, experiences and interests, as a significant source of inspiration and a critical aspect of the SONOTOMIA Residency 1.0. The orientation and support of the professionals will be initiated before the residency through the virtual meetings to prepare them for the collaboration and setting in which the work will take place.